Prof. SB Deshpande currently works as Professor and Head, Department of Physiology, AIMSR, Chittoor, AP. Earlier he has served the Department of Physiology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi in various capacities such as Senior Resident, Lecturer, Reader, Professor, and Head of the Department for about 40 years. He has also worked for MGIMS, Sevagram, Wardha, and SRMS-IMS, Bareilly.
Dr. Deshpande has served internationally as a visiting Professor to Nagoya City University Medical School, Japan. Guest Faculty IBRO-UNESCO-Workshop at Neuroscience at Jayaverdenapura University Sri Jayaverdanapura Srilanka, Guest Faculty IBRO-UNESCO-Workshop at Neurobehavioral Biology Centre, Mahidol University, Salaya, Nakorn Pathom, Thailand, and was a Post Doctoral Fellow at University of Maryland at Baltimore, U.S.A.
Prof. SB Deshpande has a total of 43 years of teaching Physiology to Ph.D., MD Physiology, DM/MCh students of the faculties of Medicine, MBBS, BDS and PG students of Ayurveda, and students of other faculties in various capacities.
Prof. Shripad B Deshpande completed his M.B.B.S. from Karnataka Medical College, Hubli, affiliated to Karnatak University Dharwad. He then pursued his MD in Physiology from Banaras Hindu University Varanasi. His Ph.D. in Physiology was also from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
Prof. SB Deshpande is a well-known researcher in the fields of physiology and toxicology. His research areas include:
- Study of neurotoxins (Scorpion venom, Ptychodiscus brevis, 3-NPA) on neurons, glia, and Cardio-respiratory system.
- Biological Effects of bisphenol A, a toxic chemical from Plastics.
- Role of chemical hypoxia on the spinal synaptic transmission
- Role of Vasosensory reflexes for the peripheral vascular disorders.
- Pathophysiology of Metabolic syndrome
- Pathophysiology of Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
- Tranexemic acid mechanism of action in postpartum hemorrhage.
- Pathophysiology of Neurodegenerative diseases/disorders.
- Recipient of Order of Academic Excellence in Publications during 2016 by the Director, Institute of Medical Sciences, B.HU.
- Received most popular teacher award by the National Medical Organization on September 5, 2014.
- Delivered Prof. R.C.Shukla Oration on the foundation day Physiology Department, KGMU, Lucknow in April 2014.
- Delivered Prof. A.C.E. Koch Oration of Physiology Society of Sri Lanka at Jayaverdanapura, in November 2013.
- Delivered A.K.Nagchaudury oration in the TSICON held in BITS-Pilani, Goa in November 2013.
- Recipient of Order of Academic Excellence in Publications during 2012 by Institute of Medical Sciences, B.H.U.
- Delivered Maj. General S.L.Bhatia Oration-2008 of Association of Physiologists & Pharmacologists of India (given to an Indian Scientist of eminence who have contributed substantially to the research and development in the field of Physiology, through outstanding works primarily carried out in India)
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Neuroscience 2005.
- Delivered Professor Baladev Singh Oration of Association of Physiologists & Pharmacologists of India for the outstanding contribution in the field of Neuroscience in the year 2005.
- Received Vice-Chancellor’s Medical Research Award Banaras Hindu University, 2004.
- Delivered Prof. P.B.Sen Memorial Oration in 10th Annual Conference of Physiological Society of India held at Varanasi, Dec 4, 1998.
- Recipient of Fellowship from Nagoya City University, Nagoya in the year 1998.
- Delivered Platinum Jubilee Lecture, of Indian Science Congress at Delhi on 6 Jan,
- Received Asian Fellowship from the Japan Neuroscience Society, in
- Awarded Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (MNAMS) 1993
- Recipient of INSA fellowship to attend the International Union of Physiological sciences (IUPS) congress at Glasgow, in 1993.
His research publications can be accessed at: